Friday, March 14, 2008

Campfire Songs

Today I was procrastinating on finishing a paper and stumbled across a website that has all the lyrics to a bunch of summercamp songs. The website is geared to scout camp, which I never went to but since I was a musical girl scout I know a bunch of them. It brought me back to my summers spent at Camp Adams. I love it there, it is still one of my favorite places on the planet.

It put me in mind of some of the amazing songs we sang during campfire, which were not featured on the scoutsongs.com site. Wow, those were the days. One Tin Soldier, so brings me back, I even looked it up so I could hear it. I am fairly positive that I freaked my roommate out; she never went to summer camp and looked at me like I was crazy when I sang the Brownie Smile song, she has also never heard The Noble Duke of York...wierdo!

So, here is a list of some of my favorite either Girl Scout or Camp Adams songs:
One Tin Soldier
Boom Chick-a-Boom(Janitor style is the best!)
Noble Duke of York (Or the more popular version Noble captain Kirk)
Today (the John Denver song)
Make New Friends
Swing Low Sweet Chariot (with all approriate hand motions)
Barges (with harmony of course)
When E'er You Make A Promise
Land of Oden
Buzzard Song
Banjo Song (I u-lo-sed to plalay)
Black Socks (They never get dirty)
The Cat Came Back (they outlawed it after a couple years since it is so violent and not-church campy enough)

This is all I can think of for the moment, I will probably think of some in a moment. I know there are more from Camp Adams, especially worshipy-er songs. Enjoy!

1 comment:

C A Wohlmut said...

I totally forgot about one tin solider. I am going to start singing this one all over the house. Lucy will join in before you know it!

Great list.