Sunday, December 17, 2006

Listen to the Music

Music is one of the most important parts of my life. I dont know that I would be alive except that I can sing. Earlier today my sister and I and and friend of ours sang at our church. It was so beautiful, even if I say so myself. I love singing in church, and until today I had forgotten just how connected to myself and God. Singing is really how I can feel and express some of my emotions and if I sing something, I feel it, whether it is really true for me or not. Like if I sing a certain hymn in church at the time I sing the song, it is true, and the sentiments in it fit me. Although later I may realize that I really dont believe what I just sang is true.
Some people who read this will think that if I dont believe all the hymns and every passage in the Bible are true then I am not a Christian. I guess that could be true, but it is just how I believe. I accept everything but only adopt what feel right for me. So I may accept that some people belive that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin and was literally the son of God. I choose to belive that maybe Jesus was born by a very pure woman and turned out to be very blessed in his life, and was a very good teacher and man. But I havyet to believe his is the literal son of God, any more than I am. As it says in the Bible we are all children of God, and God is part of all of us.
I guess for me that my struggle is about the discrepancy in the Bible, a book on which christianity is based. Most christians take the Bible as fact, which I cannot. It is a collection of books and poems written by man, not written by God. Maybe it was inspired by God, and partially based on the life and teachings of a very good man. So what I think is that it may be a good starting place, but the Bible cannot just be a list of do's and do-not's from back in the days before there was electricity and before many of the people in the world could write. I think some fo the rules in there are very antiquated, like some of the rules about food and stoning people for certain events.
I guess you can read that I belive in God and most of the tenets of the Christian faith although I am still searching for the answer. I think I may always be searching, that is just the kind of person I am. But I know there is God. I guess thats all that matters.

Sorry if this was all a bit deep but it was just one of those days.

No comments: