Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sisters

Today I attended the first reading of a classmate's play entitled Promises. It was basically about the relationship between sisters in a broken home. To me I was so caught up in the unfolding drama that I forgot that it was just a reading. Of course, there were a few line flubs and awkward moments, but...it was amazing. Yay Maddie!!!



I was blown away by the fact that she so accurately showed us the messed up tangled around hate and love relationship many sisters have...including my sister and myself. Now in the play one of the sisters is abused and my sister and I never went through anything precisely like that but when our parents were sick or if there was ever a need for support for either of us, there was no doubt that we would be there for each other even if only moments before we had been at each others throats. Including the time I got in a fight at the schoolbus stop in fourth grade to protect her.



During the reading there were a number of moments where I was literally brought to tears and afterwards I had to stop and think about it. But the ending scene with parallel images of the older sister holding the younger ones body frightens me, in fact, I just sent a text message to my baby sister checking to see if she is alright and to say that I love her. The other moment that just made me cry was the moment when the younger sister walked out of the older sisters room after the older one refused to come home and help. It made me think if I thought I could ever do anything like that to my sister. Obviously I would hope not, but who really knows. I just would hate to ever see my sister in that much pain and even think about not helping her.



There were some uncomfortable parallels in the play concerning the sisters there and my sister and myself. The younger sister in the play was promiscuous and the older hadn't even been kissed when she went off to college. I in no way am calling my sister promiscuous, period. But she has had boyfriends...ok, shutting up about that before she kills me. I, on the other hand, am pretty much like the older sister in the play. I have never had a boyfriend and hadn't been kissed when I went away to college this year. It is just kinda funny that those circumstances were mirrored in the play. In talking with Maddie after the reading that relationship is also mirrored with her and her younger sister.



I would like to send out to the world that if any theater companies are looking for new work to showcase this play is amazing, even at the first reading. So please think about using Promises by Madalyn Clemence.



Seeing the play and thinking these thought was kind of strange today because honestly my sister is the person I miss the most back at home and I cannot wait to see her(maybe only 2 days or at the most 8 days!!!). In fact we both were saying that we need to have some sister time when I get home and seeing this play just emphasized that for me.



I love you Ookie!!


1 comment:

me me me said...

I love you too Kim, and i cant wait to see you again it has been to long.