Saturday, June 3, 2006

Is our culture changing?

Today while watching TV I saw an amazing change. Okay so many people may not notice this change, but I think I may be a bit biased. I saw numerous plus sized, or almost plus sized models and actors. This is something that I personally have been waiting for. Not just because I am plus-sized, but because not everyone is ever going to be beautiful in the same way. Beauty comes from within and many larger sized women are not considered beautiful because they look different from someone who is conventionally beautiful.
Another point, not all women who are slighty larger are not unhealthy or disgusting they are simply larger. Some people see overweight people as lazy and sedintary. Well we are not all that way, I AM TIRED OF PEOPLE ASSUMING THAT I AM LAZY! I live a pretty active life, I act and sing and dance one of those almost every night of the week. Plus, I walk, and go to school full time and work part time.


I don't think that I am ugly. Nor do ithink that my weight is the only dimension to me. This is true about so many others, my friends, family, others. I don't understand how such a large part of the population and their beauty can be ignored by mainstream media.
One reason this is, according to a freind of mine in the fitness technology department, is that now there are more mainstream and acceptable ways to lose the weight. If there are options to get rid of an "imperfection" then it really isn't so bad. Well now that getting rid of weight isn't hidden the weight itself and the people carrying the weight aren't hidden, the beauty of these people isn't hidden.
For example, the weight watchers commercials, the women in these commercials are so beautiful and confident in their bodies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kim- have you heard of the model Crystal Renn?

She used to be your typical anorexic runway model until a couple years ago when she almost died. After starting to eat again, she ended up reaching a weight of about 165 pounds. She's 5'9. She's very curvaceous and natural looking and is now considered a plus-size model (even though you only have to be more than a size 6 to be considered that in the modeling business), and she has embraced herself in such a way that she has caught the eye of several major designers. She's also only 19 years old.

Anyway I find her and people like her to be inspirational. The new Dove campaign where it celebrated normal and even larger women was pretty awesome as well. We're in such denial about what it is to be normal in this country. The majority of the people in the US are at least somewhat overweight, yet people focus on the stick figures in the magazines as if that is the norm. It's not, nor will it ever be. Overweight people went from being revered to reviled in the course of a few centuries. It's amazing how cultures shift.

Take care,