Thursday, March 18, 2010

Kim Blogs Books Ep 1

I have been thinking of ideas that may help me with my lack of regular blogs. One is to kind of review books that I am reading. Maybe not give a full on book report but just let my few readers know my ideas about the numerous books I am reading. My ideas may not be what I would call informed or intelligent, just my thoughts on what came across the page. I got the idea today during my near weekly trip to the library.

So here is my first edition of Kim Blogs Books:

I have recently been introduced to Graphic Novels. There are a number of them that I considered for my first review but I decided to go with the first graphic novel I ever read, Watchmen. I would have to say that this was a great introduction to the genre. I had heard wild tales about how great it was and had a chance to preview it on a long bus ride with the Pacific University Chamber Singer.

We probably made it through the first few chapters including the sections that are purely text. Shane and I were using our best superhero voices while reading it aloud to each other. We barely lifted our eyes off the page to wipe the laugh-tears out of the way. Not that I am saying it was funny, it was just hilarious to hear Rorschach's voice come out of a sweetly flambouyant member of my own personal "Gay Pride."

I love the artwork of Graphic Novels and Watchmen is no different. I love the tight close ups and grand panoramic views. It really helps me to get a feel for the environment.

One of my favorite parts is watching the interplay between the newspaper salesman and the young boy from the neighborhood. It is a nice "normal" interaction in a strange world. It kept people human for me. It was easier to remember that even the costumed superheroes are just people dressed up. I really appreciate that departure from the regular Superman type superheroes. Guys with ginormous muscles and superpowers from birth, mutation, or otherwise. These heroes are just people who wanted to make a difference somehow and dressed up to do it. They get old and retire, forcibly or otherwise, they lead normal lives, some of the time, and have mommy issues just like the rest of us.

Everything taken into consideration Watchmen was a perfect introduction to the genre for me and I can't say that it started badly. I give it a B+


So there was my first book review. Let me know what you think. I will always take suggestion of new books to read. I will read almost anything...pretty much.

COMING SOON: Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, Kingdom Come, various books by Lynn Flewelling and many many more!!!!! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent review! Thanks for telling about what it was like to read aloud, as I enjoy such multiparticipant narratives. I look forward to reading more!