Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Who Knew?

I never thought I would be one of THOSE people. I have been pretending to have my shit together for way too long and it has finally caught up with me.

I quit school. Actually I just withdrew. I keep telling myself it is just for the term but I don't really know. I do know that I love school and I don't harbor resentments against anyone here but I have to leave.

I hide my panic and depression too well apparently but it has gotten to the point where it is clear on my face just how sad and overwhelmed I am. I went around and talked to most of my professors today and I was surprised my the support from a number of them. i expected they would tell me to get well or look at me like I crawled out from under a log...but I got hugs and encouragement from everyone I spoke too.

One in particular really touched me. Dr Micheal Burch-Pesses is the head of the music department and my advisor. He teaches band so I don't really get a lot of in-class exposure to him but he is impressed by my preparations for our meetings I generally come to him with a list of the classes I need to take just so that I make sure I won't forget them. He heard me sing solo for the first time at the end of last semester and I was incredibly honored by his feedback. This is a man who was the head of the Navy Band! He told me my control of pitch was incredible and that he couldn't wait to hear where the years would take me. He also gave my his personal card, not just the one with his email and school voice mail box number but one with his home number and told me that if I needed anything, anything at all, that I should call him. He also said something about getting me a music scholarship if and when I return. And followed it up with a huge hug and a handshake for my father.

Wow! it was a really rough day and now I have to pack and get ready to move back out of here with everything I own and move back home. This is going to be a hard road but I think I made the right decision. Three panic attacks in as many days is just not going to work for me.

Enough of that for now, I may or may not write about my journey on but I needed to put this out there.

And, check this out! Hilarious videos! I especially enjoy I Hate Drake, Stairway to Winnipeg, and Mortified: Bookworm.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We (and I mean that in the royal AND community senses) are all here for you, Kim. I'm so glad that you could see it this way in leaving school for a time (however long it is). See ya soon!!

Unknown said...

Hey girl... I just wanted to echo your brother's sentiments. :) And as a near-30 year old who still has an aspiration to finish college, I can relate to feeling overwhelmed, especially at a University. I could only hack it for a semester. lol