Saturday, December 13, 2008

Soo-oop Beau-ootiful Sooo-oop

So I made this awesome pumpkin soup yesterday and I just had to share. Becca dubbed it "Pumpkin Pie in a Pot." I modified a recipe that I found on the interwebs and I found the changes I made to make and awesome soup. The original recipe is called "Velvety Pumpkin Soup with Blue Cheese and Bacon" I substituted swiss for blue and messed with the spices but it ROCKS here's the recipe. My changes will be marked in [brackets].

2(15 ounce) cans pumpkin [or 1 29 ounce can]
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup half and half [I used skim evaporated milk]
1 shallot, minced [I plain omitted this, we didn't have shallots]
1/4 cup molasses [I added a quarter cup brown sugar for additional sweetness]
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice [I used a combination of ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and all totaled about 2 teaspoons worth, what can I say, I like spices]
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 slices bacon [we only had turkey bacon]
1 cup crumbled blue cheese [grated swiss]

Stir together the pumpkin, chicken stock, half-and-half, shallot, molasses, butter, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large stock pot over low heat; simmer 10 minutes

Meanwhile, place bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat, and cook until crispy; remove to paper towels to drain, then cool and crumble.

Ladle Soup into bowls. Top with bacon and cheese.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dang it! I should have checked your blog much sooner, because I could have put this in the cookbook!